Career Services Specialist
Do you want to be a part of a long-established and reputed post-secondary educational institution serving new Canadians? Are you a dedicated team player who is a smart self-starter with a strong work ethic and exceptional time management and project coordination skills? We are looking for savvy professionals to enhance our team as we expand our scope and delivery of innovative learning outcomes for our students.
Celebrating its remarkable 32nd year anniversary in 2023, Computek College is one of Ontario’s leading private career colleges dedicated to providing practical learning for newcomers to become employed. Our students learn from industry proven instructors, access special workshops that give them a competitive edge in the job market, and effectively leverage financial aid and career services. We offer several diploma and certification programs in business, healthcare, and technology with additional weeknight and weekend classes.
- We fundamentally believe that newcomers to Canada bring with them, knowledge and skills that affords them the right to decent work. We acknowledge their inherent dignity, wisdom, and agency.
- We are committed, therefore, to providing a nurturing learning environment that is equitable and inclusive where our newcomer students can realize their full potential.
- By facilitating the free expression of diverse perspectives in a respectful manner on campus, we create conditions for our diverse student body and staff to make a positive difference in all aspects of our college.
We are looking for an exceptional Career Services Specialist to join our Career Services department.
Reporting to: Director of Career Services
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9 AM -5 PM
An integral part of the Career Services team supporting Business, Healthcare, and Technology students and graduates, the Career Services Specialist is responsible for partnering with students to secure program related practicum placements and supporting graduates with obtaining employment in their field of study through career development support and employer connections. The Career Services Specialist will liaise regularly with students, graduates, employers, and internal departments including Finance & Compliance, Faculty, Admissions, and Student Success to achieve common goals.
Success in this role is measured through on-time practicum placements, acceptable graduate employment rate, student workshop surveys, and development of meaningful practicum and employment partnerships.
- Monitors and maintains record of upcoming student placements for assigned programs.
- Proactively plans and prepares students for the placement module of the program with the goal of attaining 100% practicum placement rate on time.
- Works closely with Instructors to plan class visits and identify student concerns that may impact practicum placement.
- Identifies and contacts employers to request suitable practicum opportunities for students with the potential of hiring.
- Initiates and establishes placement affiliation agreements with relevant industry partners.
- Offers support to students and host sites to navigate issues that may arise while on placement.
- Works closely with the Education department to identify curriculum opportunities and feedback shared by employer partners to improve employer satisfaction with Computek programs.
- Researches and develops employer partnerships through cold calling / follows up on employer leads from Business/Healthcare/Technology organizations with the goal of identifying job opportunities for program graduates.
- Regularly facilitates career development workshops including, but not limited to, Resume & Cover Letter writing, Interview Preparation, Job Search Skills.
- Provides 1:1 career development support including, but not limited to, resume and cover letter critiques, mock interviews, sharing relevant job postings.
- Organizes employer spotlights, job fairs, networking events to connect students and graduates to industry related employers.
- Provides on-site support during student and graduate activities, such as participating in graduation ceremonies, alumni gatherings, and other special events.
- Achieves monthly hire targets, quarterly graduate employment KPIs, and prepares weekly, monthly, and annual reports on required metrics.
- Certificate, Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline such as Human Resources, Office Administration, Social Work, Business, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Membership with Career Professionals of Canada, Career Association of Career Educators and Employers (CACEE) or similar is an asset
- Experience working within a post-secondary institution managing student placement services or providing newcomer support services is highly desirable.
- Preference will also be given to candidates with relevant industry, Business Development, Agency Staffing, and/or Human Resources experience.
- Enjoys working in the community and meeting people from diverse backgrounds.
- Driven by achieving goals that positively impact the lives of students and graduates.
- Extremely well-organized.
- Communicates effectively with students, graduates, team members, partners, and employers.
- Comfortable with technology and has experience using databases, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits.
Computek College is an inclusive work environment and as such has a workplace accommodation policy in place. Accommodations are available, upon request, for the interview process and other selection stages for job applicants with accessibility needs.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Do you enjoy working in the community and meeting new people with diverse backgrounds?
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (preferred)
- Student Support (post secondary institution): 2 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person